Pages

Tuesday, April 07, 2009

NaPoWriMo #7: Image Prompt

I am flat out busy for the next couple of days, but it is amazing how a firm commitment to write a poem a day works out. Check for the new prompt in the evening - I think those in the US see it first thing in the morning, but it's wonderfully useful having it the evening before - go to bed thinking about it, think about it some more over breakfast and on the way to work, and write a poem in my coffee break. The only downside to the time difference is that I never get to post until after work, and I think the day has actually finished for many in the US by then, so you can take your pick as to whether I am almost a day early or several hours late.


Next Destination, pensiero

Next Destination, pensiero



The image prompt at readwritepoem is the above flickr photo by Pensiero

Not Yet Angels

We built our houses on hilltops,
climbed trees, trekked up mountains
strung single wire bridges across deep gorges
walked on tightropes, slid down zip wires
from tree top to tree top.
We jumped on trampolines,
harnessed ourselves to parachutes,
dangled under hang gliders
fixed balloons to baskets. We built
roller coasters, ferris wheels,
octopus rides, drove from fairground
to fairground. We sit in canvas seats
suspended in the sky, facing
the sun as it filters through clouds.
We are waiting to grow wings.

4 comments:

GreenishLady said...

I love the poem... and the image prompt is great. Chairoplanes were my greatest thrill as a youngster. "Waiting to grow wings" - Yes.

I'm not participating in the month's activities (as in writing extra), but am so enjoying encountering so many poems as I wander through blogland. Thanks for sharing yours.

Anonymous said...

I'm with GreenishLady – all good, and that last line is fabulous.

Actually the whole poem serves quite well as a metaphor for the whole NaPoWriMo experience ...

Dana said...

Lovely. And the image is amazing.

Kay Cooke said...

A very fitting poem for the striking image. I always appreciate your restraint Catherine. It makes for strong, satisfying poetry.