Pages

Saturday, July 01, 2006

Spelling

I am always very aware when I type up my entries, that most of my readers spell differently from me. As I write "colour", "favourite", "centre" I wonder if I should be apologising that perhaps they look odd. Of course I resist the urge to explain, and to declare that I really can spell properly. At least, I did resist until today. After all, this is my language, my version of English, and I should no more need to apologise for that than I would apologise for writing in French or Spanish, if that's what I chose to do.

I recall though the story of New Zealand family who were temporarily living in the United States. They had two school-age children. They recounted the story of how their ten year old had come home from school saying she had got 19 out of 20 on her spelling test. What did she spell incorrectly? One of those troublesome "-our" words? Or an oddity like "plough/plow"? No, it was something entirely different. "Over here', she told her mother "they spell revolution with a capital R".

On another note: another acceptance letter in the mail today. Yayyy! A set of three more poems will be published, later in the year.

2 comments:

barbie2be said...

congratulations on your acceptance letter!

michele sent me.

Deb R said...

Congrats on your acceptance letter, Catherine!