Pages

Friday, July 07, 2006

Apparently I'm Part Yankee

On Tracie's blog I found a link to a quiz: "What Type of American English do you speak?" Since I don't speak any sort of American English I thought it would be amusing to try it. There were twenty questions, I had to answer randomly for a couple of them since none of the options fitted. Here are the results:
Your Linguistic Profile:
35% General American English
30% Yankee
25% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern


Now, will someone please explain Yankee, Dixie, and Upper Midwestern to me?

4 comments:

kenju said...

I am 50% general
25% southern
20% yankee

I am from the south (the northernmost part), married to a yankee, so I guess some of his speech has rubbed off on me!

Michele sent me.

MorahMommy said...

I am 50% general
30% yankee
10% dixie
5% midwestern

Not bad for a Canadian girl living in Southwestern Ontario!

Here via Michele.

susanlavonne said...

I was going to say exactly what srp said..or close to it anyway. When I think of Upper Midwest I think of the movie Fargo...which incidentally is a riot...but definately not for children.

  said...

I have had so much contact with the States, plus most of my family lives there, so it was interesting to try this out, Catherine. Thank you for the link. I got:

40% General American English
35% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Fascinating stuff. I would have put it around that myself, if I were American, given my use of some of their vernacular.