Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

NaPoWriMo #26: Overheard Conversations

Today I used the Readwritepoem prompt which was to take the first thing said to me after reading the prompt and use it to spark a poem. Except that I was at the computer, and when I did later join the rest of the family for dinner, I forgot to note the conversation. When I remembered, the first two things that I noted were "It's a post-extinction burst" (a psychology term that the speaker later admitted was slightly mangled) and "What shall I do with my hair?" References to both these phrases turn up in the last stanza.

The form of this poem owes something to the ghazal, although once again I have taken it rather loosely.

(All NaPoWriMo poems have now been removed for possible editing and submissions. Contact me if you would like to read them.)

4 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Another poem that works beautifully within the constraints placed upon it - so that it becomes a frame for a wonderful, original painting.

Ron. said...

Mmmmmmmmmmmm
Ghazalicious

Dan said...

It makes wonderful tinder.

ViV said...

My mum had her hair cut off at 19 (in 1925) and I still have the plait, in perfect condition.

I particularly liked the line:
"We would be glad of a shirt made of hair." - Napowrimo - a hair shirt?
ViV