Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Tuesday Poem: In the Wood of Finvara, by Arthur Symons

In the Wood of Finvara

I have grown tired of sorrow and human tears;
Life is a dream in the night, a fear among fears,
A naked runner lost in a storm of spears.

I have grown tired of rapture and love's desire;
Love is a flaming heart, and its flames aspire
Till they cloud the soul in the smoke of a windy fire.

I would wash the dust of the world in a soft green flood;
Here between sea and sea, in the fairy wood,
I have found a delicate, wave-green solitude.

Here, in the fairy wood, between sea and sea,
I have heard the song of a fairy bird in a tree,
And the peace that is not in the world has flown to me.

- Arthur Symons (1865-1945)

Books still have advantages over the internet. One is that on google you find what you're looking for, but unexpected things may pop up more readily when leafing through the pages of a book. This was one of those finds. I wasn't familiar with Arthur Symons before I happened on this poems while looking for something else. More on him here.

I have been a bit remiss in posting Tuesday Poems lately, but many other Tuesday poets have been posting faithfully every week. For links to their sites, visit the main hub site. You will find a great range of contemporary and older poems.

5 comments:

Gerry Snape said...

thankyou for posting this poem...such good words and I like the rhythm that takes you along to the postive ending

AJ Ponder said...

Love it - a link is going straight into my portal to Fairytale poetry.

Michelle Elvy said...

I love the way this flows with such an airy light feel... the rhythms really make it work. A quiet lovely thing.

Ben Hur said...

Arthur Symons would approve of the UN's World Poetry Day.

Happy World Poetry Day.

http://aotearoasunrise.blogspot.co.nz/2013/03/world-poetry-day-waiting.html

Cheers,
Andrew Bell

Unknown said...

Catherine, Happy Poetry Month from the NSW North Coast! I enjoyed your poem and selection for the giveaway. Count me in! I have scribbled for my poetry muse for YEARS and last September discovered the fun of 'drabbles' (100-word microfiction). I find myself extending it to non-fiction subjects with a twist as a tribute to Michael Dransfield (Australia's prolific drug poet who I studied at university in the late 1980s). I realised it is 40 years this month since his death AND that he was the referenced in a the TV mini-series Paper Giants:the Birth of Cleo. I suppose it is my way of blogging (look for 'Alexandra J Cornwell - Poet' and 'Byron Short Fiction 'Drabble' Writers' on facebook). I finally got around to joining a writer's group last week and did my first readers & writers festival in Bellingen 2 weeks ago (also attended and entered my first Poetry Slam event). Coincidentally, I am also an amateur genealogist and occasionally dip into the National Library of Australia's TROVE database for their scanned newspaper articles and other material for inspiration. A recent posting is on http://pool.abc.net.au/media/ewingsdale-school-makes-arbour-day-plans-1937-100-word-drabble.
Happy poetry writing!
Alexandra - reposted as my earlier comment hasn’t appeared here :-)