Pages

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Earthquake Play List

My earthquake playlist has been growing slowly since shortly after the September quake when one of our local radio stations happened to be playing Carole King just as an aftershock hit. I'm sure this list would be longer if I had a better knowledge of popular music. Some of these songs may not be familiar to overseas (or younger) readers, but I'm sure a quick google search will find most of them on Youtube.

1. I Feel the Earth Move - Carole King

2. Shake, Rattle and Roll - various artists including Bill Haley, Buddy Holly and Elvis

3. Good Vibrations - the Beach Boys

4. Tumblin'Down - Maria Dallas

5. Rock Around the Clock - Bill Haley again

6. The Gumboot Song - John Clarke aka Fred Dagg. This is one that our local radio played for all those digging silt off their properties, yet again, after the double quakes on Monday.

Any more suggestions welcome.

Edit: Some great suggestions in the comments, also, I intended to include "Here We Go Again" on the list, but I can't quite find the one I was thinking of - there are it seems many variants on this title - "Here We Go Again", "Here I Go Again", "There You Go Again" and so on, but none of them is quite the song that is playing in my head.

2 comments:

Pip said...

A quick Google search pulls up a few which might not be to your taste but are still amusing.
"Like a Rolling Stone" (Bob Dylan)
"We Will Rock You" (Queen)
"You Shook Me All Night Long" (AC/DC)
"All Shook Up" (Elvis)
"Gimme Shelter" (Rolling Stones)

Apparently Lady Gaga even has a song called "Earthquake". Not that I've ever heard it ...

lillyanne said...

Well, once you get started ...

All Shook Up, yes of course.

How about:-

All Fall Down (Emmylou Harris)
Heads up for the wrecking ball (Beth Chapman)
In my hour of darkness (Gram Parsons)
Call it stormy Monday (T-Bone Walker)
Falling down (Linda Ronstadt_

Maybe also
Keep on the sunny side (Carter Family)
and
Help me make it through the night (Kris Kristofferson)