Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Winter

Some days in winter start crystalline with frost, and then become bright and clear. Today was not one of those days. Today was gloomy and grey. It was a driving-to-work day. By the time I was on my way home, all the cars had their headlights on even though it was theoretically not dark yet. I drove through the park. Some trees were bare, others were still half clad, like ragged old bag ladies.

Strangely, there are small cherry trees blooming in the clearings under the large oaks. I think maybe they have been raised in greenhouses and recently planted out, confusing them about the seasons. They looked way too pink and pretty huddling in the gloom. I wanted to tell them they shouldn't be out after dark. I wanted to tell them to go home, their mothers would be worrying about them. Instead I drove on home. I hope they survive the frosts.

3 comments:

Clare said...

Very pretty image of the cherry blossom trees huddled under the big oak trees in the wrong season. And I like your response to them about how they should go home and that their mothers would be worrying about them. I hope, too, that they survive the frost.

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

That's really pretty writing about the cherry trees; I can see your lion at work for you already!

Michele sent me; have a great day!

January said...

I'm sure those buds are resilient. They'll be back before long. Even thought it's winter, where you live sounds hauntingly beautiful.