Pages

Tuesday, December 01, 2015

Tuesday Poem: On the Need for a New Flag

New Flag

keep
             the old one
seen by Kupe
                        Tasman
Cook

three stripes
          blue
                   green
          blue

sea
            sky
land between

flown to mark
               arrivings,
leavings

copyright Catherine Fitchett

This poem was first published in "The Chookbook: Free Range Organic Poetry" which was a collection put out by the small poetry critique group of which I was a part. It seemed quite topical at the moment so I decided to post it as my Tuesday poem this week. (That reminds me, I need to fill in my flag referendum paper - have you filled out yours yet?)

I had been travelling on the inter-island ferry and had a "visual flash" in which I saw the land and sea laid out before me as if it was a flag flying.

For more Tuesday Poems visit the main hub site.

No comments: