Pages

Sunday, March 15, 2009

The Week That Was

Between fulltime work and domestic duties, I haven't been posting as often as I intended. I have written many brilliant blog posts in my head (well, they seemed brilliant at the time) while driving to and from work, and at other idle moments, but they generally seem to be forgotten when I actually get near my computer.

This is a quick list to remind myself that I did do some non-work things this week:

1) I received a $10 voucher from Spotlight, which didn't actually require me to spend more than $10 to redeem it. Very nice, even if it arrived almost too late - in Saturday's post, for a voucher which was valid Wednesday to Sunday! So I headed off today and bought a few pieces of patchwork fabric, to add to the quilt I started last year. It's been packed away for quite some time, but I've been boring myself enough lately that I've been thinking about getting back to it.

2) Took my daughter for a drive in the country to fetch the rabbit she wanted for her birthday - a mini lop -quite cute, as long as I don't have to look after it or clean the cage.

3) Family dinner on Friday night, with the non-resident daughters plus visiting brother-in-law and sister-in-law (should that be sister-in-law-in-law? i.e brother-in-law's wife)

4) Visited a salmon farm, not open to the public (OK, that was a work thing, sort of, but not normally part of my work day). There I saw these handsome fellows (not in the salmon ponds, of course)



5) I have been reading Barbara Kingsolver's book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle which has raised my enthusiasm for growing my own vegetables. Although we don't have much space in our backyard for vegetable gardening, it occurs to me that I can actually grow more, if I put them in the front garden, which faces north and therefore gets more sun (this being the southern hemisphere). Vegetables can't look any worse than weeds, after all.
The drawback is that winter is coming soon. However, I talked to our church's resident gardening enthusiast this morning and established that it's not too late to plant cabbages and other brassicas, if I buy seedlings, not seeds.
Being woefully ignorant about vegetable gardening, I figured that if I want to get serious about it, I should probably talk to Sue about once a month and ask "what are you planting this month?"

2 comments:

20th Century Woman said...

I'm always getting great blog ideas when I'm out somewhere, and when I get to the computer they are gone.
I am also thinking of gardening in my front yard, which faces south, since this is the northern hemisphere. I think raised beds would be good. You can crowd stuff in them, I think.

Jan said...

My husband is threatening to grow tons of veg this summer and one son has just inherited a big allotment so I think we're sorted!