Pages

Saturday, December 23, 2006

Almost Christmas

As I said in my last post, I have been crazy busy in the past week. Only a little of this was truly Christmas related. I was also involved in mailing out the latest issue of a literary magazine. This includes a complex mixture of renewals for individual subscribers, invoices for libraries and book shops, contributors' free copies and so on. There is still a little tidying up to do but it can wait till after Christmas.

There were end of year barbeques (in the rain) and at work, I did extra hours to clear everything away before the end of the year, since I won't be working between Christmas and New Year.

Now I find the house has grown dust bunnies in the meantime, so this weekend is a time for hurried housecleaning before Christmas Day, when I hope to be ready to relax.

In the meantime I am having brief fixes of blogging, visiting a site or two, or making a brief post, as a break from the housework.

The photos below are of a Christmas tree that I encountered last year in a shopping complex in Wellington. The shells on the tree are polished paua shell - a New Zealand shellfish similar to abalone. I thought it was very effective, although the photos don't quite do it justice.



14 comments:

Michael K. Althouse said...

I can relate to the "non-holiday related" busy-ness of the season, as I have finally finished the seasonal "musts" so that I can get on to the more holiday oriented obligations... that sounds soooo mechanical. I am grateful that I get to do them, really!

I like those ornaments - very natural.

Oh, yes... Michele sent me.

Mike

Mike said...

It is amazing how busy this time of year can get. I hope you have a very relaxing Christmas.

Michele sent me.

kenju said...

That's a pretty tree, Catherine. I wish I could see the shells better.
Michele sent me. Have a great Christmas.

Deb R said...

That's a very pretty tree!

(Holding my breath to see if Blogger decides to let me post this.)

David Edward said...

merry Chistmas in Christ church!

srp said...

Here from Michele.
Lovely tree with the iridescent pinks and blues. Last year many of the wreaths decorating Colonial Williamsburg were adorned with clam shells. This year only a few. I thought they were so lovely.

Have a very happy Christmas and a wonderful New Year too.

Anonymous said...

Via Michele's.

I know the feeling! Hurry up and get it all spotless before the great unwrap! Have a merry Christmas and wonderful New Year!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

What a lovely idea for Ornaments on thge tree! I think it is fabulous and I bet it was stunning in "real" life!
You really have been busy busy busy, Catherine....I hope you will get to enjoy that week off between Christmas and New Years...
BTW: I'm here from Michele tonight....and I want to wish you the Lovliest of Holidays, my dear!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Well taken pictures, Catherine. I was kept working until the latest time at the office last night. Really mean.

Michele sent me.

Happy Christmas.

Jean-Luc Picard said...

Sorry you couldn't access me, Catherine. I have just put a Christmas post in. The fault is probably all this Blogger & Beta Blogger.

Anonymous said...

Pretty. I love the color scheme. Christmas peace to you!

paris parfait said...

Lovely tree! Wishing you a joyous Christmas and bright new year. xo

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you've been extremely busy! I hope you find some time to relax and enjoy the weekend!

Have a wonderful Christmas!

Here from Michele's!

Thumper said...

Wow...that's a nice tree. Almost makes me feel guilty for not having any ornaments on mine ;)

Here via Michele's!