Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2007

Making a Difference #2

As I said in a previous post, I have decided to make one change in my lifestyle each week that will benefit the environment. This week I have continued to walk to my new job on Tuesdays and Thursdays (thus benefitting my waistline and mental health as well!). My new focus this week is on packaging.

I noticed that our local branch of Lush had a promotion on their solid shampoos. By taking in one empty plastic shampoo bottle for recycling, I was able to get a free sample of solid shampoo, which needs no more packaging than a small piece of paper. The shampoo seems more expensive than the brand I usually use, but if their claim that you can get eighty washes from a hundred gram bar turns out to be true, it will turn out cheaper.

Lush is a wonderful shop to walk into because it smells delicious. They aim to use as little packaging as possible - besides solid shampoos, you can buy solid conditioners and solid deodorants. The latter are free of chemicals such as aluminium, and I intend to try them when it's warm enough here to actually need any.

Links:
There are stores in many countries with associated websites, but if you go first to their US site you will find links to all of them - just click on the national flag.

13 comments:

yellojkt said...

Lots of little steps seem to be a great way to go.

michele sent me.

Deb R said...

Cool! I order from the LUSH website sometimes, but I often wish there was a store near enough where I could go in and touch and smell things before deciding what to try.

So what kind of shampoo did you end up getting? I've used (and like) their Ultimate Shine shampoo bar, but that's the only one I've tried so far.

I LOVE their Angels on Bare Skin facial cleanser. If they offer a promo where you can try that as a freebie, I highly recommend it.

Anonymous said...

I love this commitment to the environment that you are making, Catherine. Oddly enough, I have been ramping up my own environmental efforts in the last couple of weeks. LoveShack and I have been walking to the grocery store each day and getting only what we need for dinner. It cuts down on food waste, reduces our use of our car and we get a great workout as well.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Good For You, Catherine....I think it is great that you are doing your 'bit' for the environment....And thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Oh My Dear...forgot to say Michele sent me here tonight! (Well, it's night in Los Angeles...lol)

Michael K. Althouse said...

I haven't considered a solid shampoo... I guess there is no reason why not. I have used regular bar soap on my hair in a pinch and the world didn't stop spinning...

Michele sent me,

Mike

MsT said...

I love the idea of one change every week. I am a rabid recycler and we are fortunate to have a well-run recycling center in town, plus most of the trash services offer recycling pickup as well. Re: your question, an easy way to download that song is to go to myspace.com/jetsunmamusic and click the word 'Download" under that song. Depending upon whether you have Windows Media or Real Player or iTunes or something else, you'll just have to follow the steps at that point. good luck and thanks for stopping by!

Susan Helene Gottfried said...

Solid shampoo... I don't see why not; is it color friendly?

I think it's quite admirable that you're walking to work and taking other small steps for the environment. I'm doing my best, but there are a few roads around here that, unless it's 4AM, are NOT bike-friendly. Plus, the kids...

Still, it's a worthy goal.

Michele sent me.

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks for your visit Catherine...BTW: I couldn't find Pat's Grandsons Band on Google....I sure tried...if you could leave the link for me, I would dearly appreciate it...Thanks, in advance!

OldLady Of The Hills said...

Thanks so much Catherine...I really appreciate it! Hope your week will be a wonderful one!

Wanderlust Scarlett said...

I applaud your efforts, that's wonderful!!
Just think, if everyone did that... what a difference it would make.


See you soon!

Scarlett & Viaggiatore

m said...

Catherine I'm a major lush shampoo fan. I find one lasts about 3 months in the tin which I've had for several years now and I am overjoyed to be making fewer bottles for landfill.

Oh and I love walking too.

Crafty Green Poet said...

It's a great idea to make lots of small definite steps. You can feel you're making progress as you tick off each one. I love Lush products though haven't tried their solid shampoo.

One of my favourite body care products is a solid deoderant crystal, that comes in a little fabric bag and lasts ages! It doesn't contain aluminium either so has big health benefits too.