Pages

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Hagley Park

I wanted to get a photo of the cherry trees bravely flowering under the bare branches (see my previous post), with autumn leaves fallen all around them. That's when I discovered why I havent been taking so many photos lately. It's cold. and damp. There are large stretches of the park where there is no parking, or where all the parking is full of commuter cars getting free parking for the day and walking to work. So I had to drive to where I could park, and then walk. I drive past the end of the park every morning, and often see beautiful light effects looking to the east where the sun breaks through low clouds like mother of pearl. But thats in a "no parking" area. I did see nice light effects there yesterday morning, but by the time I walked back around, there was nothing but even grey cloud.

Oh well. Here is one of the cherry trees - almost finished flowering now. I wonder if it will set fruit? The photo doesn't really do justice to the fact that all the other trees are in the season of autumn or winter.



And this is the last photo I took for the day - it had just started to rain again. I realised that not only do I not like the cold and wet, my camera doesn't. So the photo was taken hastily before "red umbrella lady" disappeared from view and before I put the camera away. I was disappointed to find that it had come out blurry. Maybe it evokes the rainy day better that way. What do you think?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

I quite like the rainy photo! I have a friend in Christchurch, but lost contact with her...her name is Kate Strong...any chance you might know her?
Here from Michele's!

Anonymous said...

I actually like the blurriness of the picture... things always look blurry in the rain, right!? :)

Michele sent me...

leonie.wise said...

yep, i like the blurry-ness too. i think it accurately sums up the 'look and feel' of a cold chch day at hagley park. i haven't been there for years. thanks for shots that triggered happy memories for me!

Begered said...

I love trees with blossoms...so pretty :)
I also agree...the blurry photo has a nice quality to it. I am a little green with envy about the weather you are having...here in Fresno, CA it's HOT!!!

Michele sent me tonight!

Jean-Luc Picard said...

I agree; that picture with the red umbrella lady loooks good. A typical rainy day!

Michele sent me here.

Kay Cooke said...

Yep - rather like the blurry effect too. A lovely photo of the cherry blossom too - it does look very brave.

kate said...

The cherry tree blooms look beautiful - your concept of winter & early spring is so very different from here.

Thumper said...

Michele sent me over to see the pretty cherry trees and start sneezing just from the thought of all their pollen ;)

Anonymous said...

Like the others, I love the blurry effect. I've always loved cherry blossoms as well. It's hard to believe that you are beginning your winter.and we are just starting our summer.

utenzi said...

Michele sent me over again to marvel at how the seasons are so different in the southern hemisphere. Our summer is just starting and you're heading into winter.

I took a similar picture of a cherry tree a few years ago after an unexpected snowstorm late in the Spring, Catherine. Cherry blossoms are so lovely.

I wish good luck to those trees blooming out of season, Catherine. It'd be a shame to lose them.

Anonymous said...

Cherry trees just now? So lovely, and the rain.