Friday, July 07, 2006

Apparently I'm Part Yankee

On Tracie's blog I found a link to a quiz: "What Type of American English do you speak?" Since I don't speak any sort of American English I thought it would be amusing to try it. There were twenty questions, I had to answer randomly for a couple of them since none of the options fitted. Here are the results:
Your Linguistic Profile:
35% General American English
30% Yankee
25% Dixie
5% Upper Midwestern
0% Midwestern


Now, will someone please explain Yankee, Dixie, and Upper Midwestern to me?

6 comments:

Writing Blind said...

Yankee means northern, as in the opposite of southern, which is Dixie. Dixie is also code for redneck. Let me know if you need me to explain that one to you.

I got 50% General American English, which basically means that when you talk you don't sound like an idiot but you don't sound all upper crust-y either. Does that make sense?

srp said...

Here from Michele.

I have lived in the north and the south. I guess the longest would be in Mississippi. So Southern would be mine. Not redneck.
Northern Midwest possibly Wisconsin, speech example in the movie Fargo, although Fargo is in North Dakota, but that is North too.
Who knows.

kenju said...

I am 50% general
25% southern
20% yankee

I am from the south (the northernmost part), married to a yankee, so I guess some of his speech has rubbed off on me!

Michele sent me.

Morah Mommy said...

I am 50% general
30% yankee
10% dixie
5% midwestern

Not bad for a Canadian girl living in Southwestern Ontario!

Here via Michele.

susanlavonne said...

I was going to say exactly what srp said..or close to it anyway. When I think of Upper Midwest I think of the movie Fargo...which incidentally is a riot...but definately not for children.

Jack Yan said...

I have had so much contact with the States, plus most of my family lives there, so it was interesting to try this out, Catherine. Thank you for the link. I got:

40% General American English
35% Yankee
20% Dixie
0% Midwestern
0% Upper Midwestern

Fascinating stuff. I would have put it around that myself, if I were American, given my use of some of their vernacular.