Pages

Monday, April 05, 2010

NaPoWriMo #5: Not an Inside Out Poem

The latest prompt at Readwritepoem had me stuck: "inside out". In fact, my brain feels rather fuzzy lately, especially over Easter - too much chocolate and not enough exercise. maybe.

Instead I turned to an idea that had been buzzing round my head for a while and not quite made it out as a poem yet. Mark Twain was apparently born in the year of Halley's Comet, and died in the year it next appeared. The poem however is not about Mark Twain.

(All NaPoWriMo poems have now been removed for possible editing and submissions. Contact me if you would like to read them.)

5 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

Strong imagery and imagination - enjoyable reading as always.

Anonymous said...

Glad you ignored the prompt if this is the result. Vivid, well crafted poem.

Greg O'Connell Poet in Schools said...

"Always the orange crayons.": Clever detail!

flaubert said...

Catherine,
Love this! I especially love the last stanza.
Pamela

Anonymous said...

Very effective – although I had trouble getting Mark Twain and crayons out of my head …