Pages

Sunday, June 08, 2008

Feeling Like a Tomato

A few weeks ago we had an early snowfall which hit our tomato plant. Up till then it had been rather prolific, but the tomatoes started falling off, so we gathered them up and set them on the kitchen windowsill to finish ripening.

The tomatoes looked fine. But they didn't ripen. Instead they started to ooze puddles of brownish liquid.

For the last week I've been feeling very much like one of those tomatoes. But, I haven't entirely finished a box of tissues yet, so I guess that's OK. I took the whole week off work, one day at a time. And I'm trying to convince myself that I'm fit to head back tomorrow, because sitting at home coughing is getting boring.

We had snow again last night. The hills looked very pretty this morning, but the air didn't feel so pretty. I'm contemplating the depressing warnings that if we don't cut peak time power use, power cuts are likely in about four weeks time.

Don't they know that most of us don't actually get up in the morning thinking "Wouldn't it be fun to waste some electricity today?" Because really, we have better things to do with our money than waste it. (Like buying poetry books. Or food.)

Every year, the power companies give us clever ideas to save power. And I roll my eyes and think "Don't they realise we've been doing that for twenty years or so already?"

Sigh. Thank goodness for our open wood fire, which we are not supposed to use because of air pollution, and our new gas cooktop.

No comments: