Pages

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Poetry Thursday: Beauty

The prompt at Poetry Thursday this week sounded rather interesting. The idea was to describe whatever we thought was the most beautiful thing in the world, but without describing it. I may try it one day, but this post will explain why I didn't have time this week.

I couldn't miss Poetry Thursday, though. So I thought I would offer this small poem by Robert Bridges, on the topic of beauty and craftsmanship, which I have always liked (well, at least for the last forty years or so). It seems as if this week has been full of "hasty days". Perhaps I will have time to think about the prompt at the weekend.

All Beauteous Things

I love all beauteous things,
I seek and adore them:
God hath no better praise,
And man in his hasty days
Is honoured for them.

I too will something make
And joy in the making;
Although to-morrow it seem
Like empty words of a dream
Remembered on waking.

- Robert Bridges (1844 - 1930)

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Even when you are hasty, you offer up a timely and thoughtful poem.

I hope all the craft and haste is working for you.

Clockworkchris said...

This was a great poem and I am glad you did not miss out on Poetry Thursday. Everyone has busy weeks. Thanks for still posting.

Crafty Green Poet said...

a lovely brief reminder of beauty in amongst the busiest days...

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

"I too will something make
and joy in the making..."

Isn't that what we are all doing here? Thanks!

Natalie said...

That's really made me think about beauty. Thank you for sharing it.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing this poem! Quite lovely!

gautami tripathy said...

I have always liked this pem. Thanks for posting it.


gautami
Parallel Streams

Carolyn said...

"I too will something make
And joy in the making;"

Those lines are words to live by! Great read, Catherine, thanks for posting it.

Here from Michele's today :)

Anonymous said...

great post, made me think about the beautiful things ...
here via michele today. Hope the busy time passes quickly for you . :)

Mary J. said...

I like the line "joy in the making" especially. Of course, I think about us making our baby and losing it... but then, there's always another chance... and still the joy.

I don't think I've ever read Robert Bridges. Thanks for sharing this poem.

Deb R said...

That's a lovely poem!

rashbre said...

Appropriate to your busy times. There's a lot about William Blake in the UK press at the moment. A predecessor of Bridges, with some very interesting poems abou life and London.

Here today via Michele! Hiya!

rashbre