Pages

Saturday, September 02, 2006

Spring!

September 1st is generally regarded as the first day of spring around here, so I stopped on the way home from work yesterday to take this photo:


We had a visit at work from a former colleague with his wife and young son. I got to play peek a boo with a one year old. I haven't done that in a long time.
Today I have been mowing lawns for the first time since before winter. Soon they will be growing rapidly. If I don't do it now, it will be very hard work.

More holiday photos:
We came back through Rotorua which is a thermal area. Most of the scenic attractions are fenced off with ticket booths at the gate. However there is a park at the centre of town, Kuirau gardens, which contains pools of steaming water and mud, and is freely open to public access. We stopped and took photos.



Another forty minutes or so south, we stopped at Huka Falls just north of Taupo. Nothing to rival Niagara, but it is still quite an awesome sight as a river 100 metres wide forces itself into a long channel only 15 metres wide. The roar of the river is quite loud. The water rushes through this channel and then spills over the falls at the far end.

5 comments:

paris parfait said...

Beautiful photos! Looks like you had some good times. As your spring begins, our fall heralds its arrival - a nice change after a too-warm summer. Hope yours is enjoyable.

kenju said...

Catherine, your photos are wonderful - and I like your poem above. Nice imagery.

Michele sent me.

carmilevy said...

Hi Catherine. Dropped by from Michele's.

I love how you play with perspective in your images. They're wonderful to look at and to think about. Great eye!

Frankly, I think Niagra (a 2.5-hour drive from my house) is way oversold. Touristy, kitschy and quite the cliche. This is much more compelling and memorable.

Deb R said...

I LOVE the photos -especially that beautiful waterfall and the photo of the walkway and bridge. Beautiful.

Tia said...

Oh, YAY!!!!!!! Pictures of my future home town and the vicinity!!!!! YAY!!! =)))))) I can't wait!!! (OK, I'll try to contain myself again now.......)