Pages

Wednesday, June 21, 2006

A Conversation with my Son

"What's for dinner?"
"It's in there" I say, indicating the crockpot (slow cooker)
"It's not that horrible soup, is it?"
"No, it's a casserole. And there's nothing wrong with that soup, it's full of good stuff - oh, do you mean the kumera soup?"
"That too. I don't mind if you never make either of them again"
"It's boring having the same meals all the time" I say
And he replies hopefully "We could have more chocolate" !!
(Not that I'm against chocolate)

The first soup referred to is minestrone - made with shin beef, red beans, dried spaghetti, tomatoes and lots of vegetables and herbs. The kumera (sweet potato) soup includes chicken stock made from real chicken carcasses, mashed sweet potato, apple sauce, coconut and curry powder.

I'd gladly receive suggestions for meals. I generally cook for five or six people. Here are some of the requirements:
1. A husband who gets itchy if he eats oats or corn, isn't allowed a sugar content of greater than 10% and says capsicums make the meal taste bitter, even if he leaves them on the side of the plate.
2. Both he and I should probably be taking off weight - so, low fat.
3. A dietician recommended that he have no more than three red meat meals a week and two fish, with two non-meat. On the other hand, he doesn't like vegetarian food, though he does like eggs.
4. I also have a daughter who is very skinny, doesn't eat much, likes red meat and really needs it for the iron content. (Besides we all like red meat).
5. The eldest daughter lived in Korea for two years and likes very spicy food, and wants her meals to be varied.
6. The youngest son (speaker above) is allergic to eggs, oats, rye and corn. He doesn't like spicy food, and doesn't often like new things (unless they fall into the category of dessert).

As you can see some of the requirements are mutually exclusive. But there is one thing that we are all agreed on - you can never have too much ginger!

6 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I'd hate to be in your shoes trying to cater for all those requirements! CArrots cooked with ginger and honey are nice.

Janet said...

i saw a great recipe yesterday for fish. You can see it here:

http://www.elise.com/recipes/archives/001968ling_cod_with_tomato_and_orange.php

Hi, Michele sent me :-)

Catherine said...

Chiefbiscuit, I think we'd like those, except it would have to be a very small amount of honey for my husband to be allowed it :(

Endment said...

I went through that many years ago --- I tought my kids to cook and now I gripe:)

paris parfait said...

What a challenge, cooking for such diverse appetites and requirements!

barbie2be said...

heh heh heh... i like your son! we could have more chocolate!!!

michele sent me.