Pages

Wednesday, October 06, 2010

Quirky Signs

A couple of signs spotted on my walk home from work this week. The first has been painted on a fence since the earthquake:



and the second I found rather odd since there is not actually any gate in sight:



In case it's too small, the sign reads "Shut the Gate. The penalty is forty shillings for leaving this gate unlocked."

It occurred to me that these also fit Carmi's Thematic Photographic theme for the week, parallel

Our house was added on to at some stage, and the chimney, once on an outside wall, is now boxed in between two interior walls. I have been thinking that someone needs to go into the attic with a good torch and check down the space around the chimney for loose or fallen bricks. Especially since we are up to 1400 aftershocks, each of them rattling the house a bit more. It seems to be standing up to it, but brick work is the most vulnerable part of the building.

2 comments:

carmilevy said...

I hope the planet settles down quickly: You deserve a little peace and quiet after all the shaking you've had!

The sign is delightful. I should replicate it and put it up in my office. Some days, I could use that advice!

New theme - "branches" - goes up later today. I'm willing to bet you've got a few perspectives for that one, too!

leonie.wise said...

oh, those are great!