Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Friday Evening

I stopped off on my way through the city after work on Friday. A three day weekend ahead. Friday evening always seems full of possibility. These photos were taken between the spot where I parked the car and the bookshop. A moment to savour.



The stone lion is part of the remembrance archway for World War I soldiers.



After work chilling out in the restaurants along Oxford Terrace



A chef takes a quiet moment in an alley



This fellow guards the entrance to the Bangalore Polo Club restaurant.

Today I felt sluggish. Eventually I did a bit of pottering in the garden. There was a massive eight hour free concert put together in Hagley Park to give people a lift after the earthquake. I caught some of it on TV, I picked out the acts I enjoy but I don't do crowds very well, and don't think I would have enjoyed being there, standing up, for hours on end through both music I like and music I don't. Clearly though, from the faces in the crowd shots, it was much appreciated.

And then this evening I dropped my daughter off at a friend's 21st party, in an area still without working sewerage, so I found myself driving past rows of portable toilets on the footpaths, over roads that were bumpy and cracked.

3 comments:

Kay Cooke said...

I have enjoyed catching up on your latest posts (words and images)Catherine.
The writing course you are enrolled in sounds great - happy writing.
Enjoy the rest of the weekend too - hope they are free of nasty after-shocks. (Loved the photo of the doctored Carry On sign! Very kiwi!

CorvusCorax12 said...

lovely picture, the seagull on the lion made me smile. I hear you about crowds, not a fan of them myself.

21 Wits said...

such beautiful savouring moments you captured. and such an inviting sidewalk cafe, love them....I think the pelicans are the best, and they seemed to be getting a bit unwilling to wait any longer!