Pages

Tuesday, April 08, 2014

Tuesday Poem: Temptation

Temptation

The rind falls on the benchtop
in the shape of her initial.
He slices the fruit in thin segments
with hands pleated by age
and stippled like the skin of the pear.

He arranges its slices on a plate
translucent as the delicate skin
around her eyes. Carries it
in shaking hands to where she sits
deep in a chair, shrunken in its arms,
propped on pillows.

Once he courted her with apples.
This pear now, softer and kinder
to aged gums. He feeds her
slice by slice. She sucks the sweetness.
A trickle of juice runs down her chin.
Winter will come soon enough.
He is feeding her the sun.

© Catherine Fitchett 2011

After I posted the autumn photos in the previous post, I recalled this poem. I have always thought that if I were Eve, I would want Adam to tempt me with pears rather than with apples.

This poem was placed third in the inaugural Poems in the Waiting Room poetry competition and was published in their poetry cards for Winter 2012.

For more Tuesday Poems, visit the main hub site and see what others have posted.

Remember, I am participating in the Big Poetry Giveaway. To win free poetry books, see this post.


2 comments:

Helen McKinlay said...

It's lovely Catherine...the last two lines are perfect. I can see why it did so well.

leonie wise said...

oh this is gorgeous. beautiful visuals as I read and I think to myself "I want my love to age that gracefully".