Pages

Sunday, July 04, 2010

Shopping for Sunlight

I was sitting at my computer on Saturday morning, wondering whether to go out or stay at home, and thinking perhaps I couldn't be bothered. Then I read Tony Hoagland's poem The Word at Mary's blog, Creative Voyage, and it was just the impetus I needed to get out of the house:

Down near the bottom
of the crossed-out list
of things you have to do today,

between “green thread”
and “broccoli” you find
that you have penciled “sunlight.”


So I headed off to the Riccarton Farmer's Market to shop for sunlight, something that has been in short supply around here lately. This is the first weekend in a while that we have had two sunny days - but on yesterday, there was no guarantee that the sunshine would continue, so I'm glad I grabbed it while I could.


Pots of sunlight




The empanadas were delicious.


The children played while their parents were busy shopping. Who remembers doing this as a child?


Feeding the ducks


This little dog apparently waits patiently in the saddle bag of his owner's bicycle every week.

3 comments:

David Edward said...

wonderful pictures.
I wish i could send you some of our mountain summer

Kay Cooke said...

It's been a while since I visited your blo, I like your new header! I have been away for a week and just catching up on my blog-reading now ... Your wonderful photos have certainly inspired me to get out and about - I have had a hibernating time of it lately (the weather's been very conduciveto walking too - so I've no excuse really).

leonie wise said...

i love markets and the riccarton one looks lovely

that last photo has me laughing really hard. what a cute (and patient) dog!