Pages

Monday, April 27, 2009

NaPoWriMo #27

Today's prompt at readwritepoem was "let's get metaphysical" - be inspired by the poems of Rumi.

Actually, I think what was intended was "mystical" rather than "metaphysical" which is something quite different. And my feeling about this prompt was well, no. It's akin to saying "let's get Christian" or "let's get Jewish". Spirituality of any sort comes from deep within and not from surface imitation.

Nevertheless I did read some Rumi poems, and the word that came to mind was "aflame". And since it is autumn here, this is what I came up with:

First frost of autumn
Fallen leaves rimmed with ice
Branches aflame


Yes, it's my shortest yet. The month is nearly over, I'm itching to do some deep concentrated editing on various poems, both written and yet to be written, and for today, since it's a work day, that's all I've got.

No comments: