Pages

Friday, February 13, 2009

Thematic Photographic: Up

Usually when I go walking on the hills, I look down. The hills behind the city were once bush-covered, but human settlement ended that. Most of the bush was cleared for farming. Now, apart from a few pockets of remaining bush (forest in New Zealand English), or places where there are regeneration projects, grass and sheep is what you will see. (Along with joggers, mountain bikers, various small birds of the finch variety, magpies, and the occasional hawk).

As I said, I look down. There are spectacular views of the city on one side of the hill, and the harbour and islands on the other side. When I'm not looking down at either of these, I'm looking for photo-worthy flowers in the grass, or magpies on the fence posts, or even a rusty old car by the side of the track - anything that might make an interesting photo.

What I ignore is the pylons bearing electricity wires on their march across the hillside. That is, I try to, usually. Haven't I come up here to leave the city behind? Walking directly underneath though, I hear the wires hum like cicadas. They are a powerful presence. One day I looked up, considered the angles of the pylons and the wires, and tried to compose an interesting photo. Whether I succeeded or not, you will have to judge.



For more "up" photos, visit Carmi's Thematic Photographic here

1 comment:

Kay Cooke said...

That's effective symmetry and angles - it takes your eye. It's funny how we get used to the presence of these striding across teh country. I wonder if it will be the same with wind farms? Which begs the question - is there room for both?